Monday, January 31, 2011

From Junk to Joy

The other day, I was listening to a program called Woman to Woman.  The guest on the program was Debbie Holley, who has developed a class called Peace of Mind or a Mind in Pieces?  She talked about how, as women, we tend to keep a mental junk drawer of all kinds of negative things we've heard about ourselves or told ourselves.  While this does happen more with women, I do think some men do this as well.

I admit that I keep a junk drawer.  I've emptied it out from time to time because I recognize the damage it inflicts.  But inevitably, it gets filled up again, and before I realize it, I've gotten into a slump.  This junk definitely steals my joy.  What makes it worse is that I'm responsible.  I'm not responsible for what other people say to me, but I am responsible for hoarding those things, responsible for what I say to myself.  That means that cleaning out that drawer is up to me.  While acknowledging this doesn't necessarily make the clean-up easier, it signifies that this doesn't have to be a permanent condition.  I can go from a drawer full of junk to a heart full of joy.  What junk do you need to throw out?

Remember that God doesn't think negative thoughts about you, so that rubbish piling up inside comes from the enemy of souls.  "For I know the thoughts I think toward you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end" Jeremiah 29:11. Our God wants to restore our joy.  It comes with peace of mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment with courtesy. It's okay to disagree! Just don't tear someone else down to do so. And find ways to share without profanity or other obscenities. I look forward to our conversation!